10 simple ways to save energy and reduce your bills. Installing a smart meter to help you understand how you use your energy will help.
- Only put as much water as you need in the kettle.
- Don’t leave anything on standby. If your appliance doesn’t have an accessible off switch you can get a remote to turn it off. This includes turning off your WiFi overnight. Nigel’s Eco Store has a range of energy saving gadgets and remotes to make this easier.
- When you leave your computer for a while remember to put it into sleep mode or use an energy saving button such as the Eco Button
- May seem obvious but switch off the lights when you leave the room.
- Change your lights to low energy LEDs.
- When choosing a new appliance go for the lowest energy option you can.
- Check your thermostat and timer settings to be sure you only have the heating on when needed. Turning the thermostat down a degree and wearing an extra layer makes a noticeable difference.
- Turn radiators off or at least to low in little used rooms.
- When cooking use a steamer to cook more than one thing on a single ring.
- Take a shorter shower.
More tips are available from the Energy Savings Trust